Monday, February 9, 2009

SPIN Seminar

On Thursday, last week, I went to a seminar at City Hall on SPIN gardening: Small Plot Intensive Gardening. The expert who gave the seminar basically runs farms in urban backyards. She pays "rent" for use of the backyards in weekly vegetables.

It was a useful seminar, though not totally applicable to my situation -- I don't want to roto-till my entire backyard -- I still want the kids to have room to play.

The most useful bit of information was regarding the growing season -- she recommends throwing the last and first frost dates out the window and starting on the spring vegetables as soon as the soil can be worked adequately.

The question/comment section was pretty useful too. I discovered that Tim Horton's is probably the best bet for finding food-grade plastic containers that we can convert into self-watering containers for growing larger vegetables (cucumber, tomato, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment