Thursday, January 8, 2009

Starting line ...

We moved into this house 8 years ago. The plot originally had a plum tree, 2 pear trees, 2 apricot trees and a grape vine. Old age and backyard reorganization has us down to 1 plum tree, 1 pear tree and 1 apricot tree. Our neighbours have a VERY prolific mulberry tree that comes over our fence. We also have a rain barrel.

I started a herb garden several summers ago and I've been casually vegetable gardening for a couple of summers now, but this summer I'm getting serious. I want to see how much good quality, organic food I can grow in our tiny backyard and how much food in total I can gather including all the fruit.

I'm going to track how much money and time I spend, how much city water versus water from my rain barrel I use, and how much food I gather!

1 comment: