Saturday, May 16, 2009

Self-Watering Planter Update

The camera is working again, so I thought I would update on all of the self-watering containers (except for the tomatoes which are still in the basement). All of these containers are listed in the sidebar.

I filled the reservoir in each container when I originally planted it. Otherwise, I have not had to do any watering! Each time it rains the reservoir fills up again and so far that has been sufficient. I'm guessing that later in the summer when plants are bigger and days are hotter and rain is more infrequent I'll have to water more, but so far the containers have been incredibly convenient!

Spinach

The spinach in the self-watering planter has caught up to the spinach in my raised bed even though it was planted a couple of weeks later.

You can see some of the damage from the hail storm last week, but the plants are doing well.

We like baby spinach, so I'll start harvesting the outer leaves from each spinach plant this week.




Radish:

These are a heirloom variety called Plum Purple Radish. They're almost 4 weeks old now, but definitely aren't ready for harvest. I'm a bit worried because when I tried these indoors they never produced and enlarged root.




Arugula:

Just a regular variety. I need to plant a lot of more of this because I would like to make and freeze a bunch of arugula pesto and I also want to be able to use it in salads.





Lettuce:

I started these under a grow light and transplanted them into the outdoor container in mid-April.


We'll be eating these in the next week or two and replanting this bucket with basil.




Potato:

This is a fingerling potato. I only filled the planter up half-way with soil so that I can add more as the plant grows. The stem that gets buried will become part of the root system and will produce more potatoes.

I'm not expecting the potato crop to be cost effective -- potatoes are cheap and I don't think I'll get very many. However, I still remember visiting my uncle's farm and helping to dig up potatoes. It's a very satisfying vegetable to harvest.

Carrots, Garlic and Onion:

On the left are a heirloom variety of carrot called Danver Half-Long.

The bucket in middle has garlic and on the right is a bucket of onion.






Swiss Chard:

This variety is called Bright Lights and has multicoloured stalks. I have two planters of this.










Zucchini:

This was transplanted last week from a sprouted seed. It's a heirloom variety called Cocozelle Zucchini.

I have two buckets of this.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a suspicion that your plants are getting too much water. I see symptoms. If rain is filling the reservoirs constantly that is not necessarily a good thing. If it were my bucket garden, I'd be using a soil probe to check soil moisture and when necessary I'd siphon water OUT of the reservoir to allow the soil to dry down. "Self-watering" is an inaccurate term used only in the consumer market. The correct term is sub-irrigation. Plants do not have the intelligence like animals to stop drinking. Instead they drown from lack of oxygen. Just trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious, Greenscaper - I've never really heard of too much water, other than in the obvious sense of blossom rot, cracking etc on tomatoes. What are the specific symptoms that you see, because all I see is really lush growth...?

    (I was just scrolling down here to say way to go, but noticed there was already a comment! I don't personally think there is much to worry about... we haven't had THAT much rain)

    (and btw, I don't care what you call it - as long as my plants water themselves, I'm happy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last comment sounded a little harsh... I just mean if everybody calls them "self-watering" then I wouldn't worry too much. Smart gardeners probably realize that the planter isn't REALLY watering itself... ;-)
    (but still curious about the signs of over-watering!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input. I don't think that this is a problem because the soil isn't actually in contact with the water. There's a wick that extends from the soil compartment into the water reservoir and that draws up water into the soil. I don't know that it matters how full the reservoir is (as long is always has some water in it).

    If you're interested, the design of the planter I'm using is here.

    What are the symptoms of overwatering that you're referring to, Greenscaper?

    Thanks for any and all advice!

    ReplyDelete